Spirit of Life & Spencer Trask Memorial
In 1913, Katrina Trask and George Foster Peabody commissioned a memorial in honor of Spencer Trask’s work in preserving and protecting the healing waters of Saratoga Springs. Artist Daniel Chester French, along with architect Henry Bacon, creators of the Lincoln Memorial, designed the monument at the East end of Congress Park featuring the triumphant winged figure known as the Spirit of Life. Today, the Memorial and more so the sculpture, have become a defining symbol of the City of Saratoga Springs, recognized by residents and visitors alike. The Saratoga Springs Preservation Foundation, in partnership with the City of Saratoga Springs, has embarked on a four-year restoration campaign to conserve and restore the Spencer Trask Memorial in anticipation of its centennial unveiling in 2015.